Monday, February 4, 2008

When I first saw this ad, the era of the 20's just jumped out at me. From the grainy quality of the photographs, to the typography I immediately was convinced that this ad was trying to bring the reader into the 1920's. I really appreciate the layered look of it also. It takes it back to the 20's even more in the sense that back then they did not have computers or the technology we do, so they had to do everything by hand using paste ups, etcetera. Those methods are what creates such the layered and hand made look. At the same time, you sub-continuously know that it was produced on a computer, so you get the feeling of something very modern replicating/ borrowing from the past. 

6 comments:

Sarah Reed said...

I think the 20's is the era the designers were shooting for; having such a style brings a sense of sophistication that was present in the 20's. The 20's were known for their rich and fashionable style, as this was the age right before the depression when businesses were thriving. I think the simple, yet elegant text combined with the not-too decorative border get this style across.

anits said...

Yeah.. this most definitely reminds of the Roaring 20's. The picture used definitely had to be in black and white in order to portray the 20's. This ad reminds me of a few posters that I have in my room... and they are all replications from the 20's and 30's. The designer made a wise choice for colors and typography. I liked the fact that they went bold on the headline and then very subtle and pretty with the subtext.

LmBaptista said...

the faded or washed balck and white show alot of the 20's quality , its a really nice piece, it has a vintage look to it , it is very interestin and captivating of that time period.

Georgia said...

This definitely reminds me of a 20's ad. Especially with the muted colors and the fashion that is pictured. Also the pose that the girl is in is reminiscent of those from the 20's.

pollypocket said...

I also enjoy the hand-done quality of this advertisement. It would definately stand out among other advertisements with their more modern computer feel and clean edges. Not only is the quality and texture different from the norm, but the actual drawing itself is very interesting, showing all of the woman's thoughts in her head.

Unknown said...

The layering quality of the photo, more so than any of the type, I feel, is what gives the ad/piece it's throwback to the early 1900's. I think the choice of type is a little too modern and clean edged to be grouped into the time period that the picture captures.