Monday, February 18, 2008

Gold Medal for Worst Design



I know we talked about this design at the beginning of the semester, but since then I have seen it a lot more, which I think is a complete shame. This is definitely a pieces that has us all saying "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!" Right off the bat, it's illegible. The viewere is left wondering what exactly is going on, and not in a good way. There are some designs that may be a little off to try and spark the viewers curiousity and invite them to look longer to see the clever solution. This has no clever solution. As a viewer you are dissapointed after sticking around and trying to figure it out because it doesn't work and only leaves you scratching your head. I understand trying to make it more modern and flashy to get your attention, but they can't tell us this was the only way to go about it. some very simple solutions would be to: at least make the two "2's" match (since they don't match we wonder if they are bother "2s"), either don't make the zero so jagged so we know it's a zero and the olympic symbol is the cut out or actually make a hole in the zero (we need somthing to link it to the normal form of a zero), and make the one straight because since everything is mis-shapen right now it could be intrerpretted at a one or a seven. Obvioulsy it needs more help than that, but those suggestions would be a start.

5 comments:

Georgia said...

yeah, so We already know that I don't like this one. It just looks crazy. And the font being all jagged doesn't help the legibility. I think that they could have a much better logo. In fact I have seen an idea for a better one. The two "o's" and the curved part of the "d" in London were made into the top three rings in the olympic symbol and then the other two were added beneath. It was in a cool rounded font and worked so much better than the one they have now.

Sarah Reed said...

Having the text legible in such a logo is the first matter of importance, so this logo clearly needs a makeover. I still can't figure out why the second 2 is so badly warped...even if it was meant to make interesting shapes (which aren't interesting but just plain ugly), I'm sure viewers will be confused. Besides the horrible typeface (I'm not fond of such sharp and angular text), I hate the color combination; if the designers wanted to use one bright color, they need a more subtle and neutral color to balance it out.

I'd Rather Be Baking said...

I just think its funny that typography could be so bad that it caused seizure... The piece is really illegible, not only because of the actual font they chose, but more so because of the awkward positioning. Possibly with a more legible font, that positioning would have been able to be pulled off. For such a popular event, the sign really needs to be legible and more classy looking. Also, it needs to be more universal.

anits said...

umm, yeah I think the whole world knows that this IS the worst logo ever. When I first saw this, I thought why would they even go public with this thing? The text is extremely illegible and the bright colors are nauseating. I didn't even know this thing said 2012. I also thought, "what a bad flashback to the '80s." We want to more forward with design, not back.

Ebee said...

I dont even know what to think about this. Who even came up with this idea and who let them go through with it! London is supposed to be on top of cool design but this is just terrible and illegible.