Tuesday, March 18, 2008

off the wall logo

Over the break I was shoe shopping and I was telling my friend how much I really do like this logo. Without even thinking about it I started to tell her what was working with the type and she was just just "Lauren I get sick of you talking about type." So I thought this would be a good example of how we view type without even realizing it. The way the type fits the skateboard makes it look like it is really sitting on it because of the curve in the board. Also, the type for Vans fits what the company stands for. It is structured like a wall but with the extension of the V it not only brings all of the type together but also, in a way, resembles a sidewalk which is where most skaters skate. The simplicity of type and lack of colors makes it a fun and yet well done logo.

6 comments:

Sarah Reed said...

I appreciate the combination of black and white space and the nice type management of this logo (the appropriate typeface, kerning, spacing and containment inside the skateboard plus the fact that the logo doesn't look cluttered at all); however, I wish the designers had used a more appropriate combination of images and word choice. "Off the wall" implies that Vans is original in its products, but it doesn't relate to the skateboard as I think it should. Otherwise, I like this logo!

anits said...

I do like the concept here... but it needs better execution. To me the skate board looks like a space ship. But the reverse coloring is a nice touch with the type.. it makes it stand out more. Also, why did they use a skateboard? I don't think of a skate board when someone says "off the wall."

Bethany said...

I think the type used here, like you stated, definitely represents this demographic. The a very urban and freehand feel that doesn't come across as stuffy or over thought out. It's very youthful and this is emphasized with the typeface being san serif.

little cody. said...

i really appreciate the simplicity. it is so bold and clean that it is very comforting to your eyes. i kind of want to just keep looking at it. the lines are soft and not sharp. all in all, a good design.

I'd Rather Be Baking said...

This is a really effective design. The sidewalk made out of the V gives a great explanation of what the company is. By putting the typography on a skateboard, they give further clarity to their product. I like how the font choice looks to almost be hand done like graffiti, which is often associated with skateboarding.

Ebee said...

I really like the way this all fits together, the concept it really cool and i appriciate that they solved it using black and white.