Monday, March 3, 2008

mary kay has good type..SHOCKING!

as some may know, i sell mary kay (hint hint)...my biggest problem with selling these products to a younger group is that the mary kay name is known for making products for older women. i know when i think mary kay, i think old women. you expect to see nasty pink type with nasty old woman style roses everywhere...at least thats how it used to look. they finally got smart and stepped it up, as you can see from this picture. this is my favorite lotion and i remember looking at it thinking how much i like the type they used and i was kind of amazed that mary kay would come up with such a classy, clean look. embrace is my favorite part because its so delicate and little. the kerning of the letters is spaced just enough to add even more contrast with the flowing lines of harmony. the design is simple, pure and it truly represents the scent and wonderfulness of the lotion.

5 comments:

Sarah Reed said...

I agree that this new design has an attractive look that would appeal to more than older women; because of its simplicity and the fact that it doesn't incorporate the over-the-top pink theme, I think the younger generation of ladies would appreciate this new look. I think the pale blue type works well too; there's such a contrast in the two typefaces too that adds interest to such a simple design.

Georgia said...

I like the embrace type as well. I think that it works really well with the contract between the script and the simplistic font of embrace. Also, I think that the color appeals more to a younger crowd as well as the packaging.

anits said...

I definitely agree.. when I think of mary kay, I think of pink! but lately whenever I see their packaging.. it's appealing to a younger demographic.. just like this bottle does. I like the script font of the title... it's saying this is a clean, light, and fresh fragrance. I think it's interesting how cosmetic and perfume companies come up with ways to tie the scent to the typography... and this is just a great example of that.

Bethany said...

i love the elegant type of harmony. It feels like somebody who is very harmoneous just gracefully wrote it out. It's amazing the loads of different logo's and type just on all our 'beauty' products. you never know what you'll find.

Ebee said...

i think these types work very well together, the colors and simple eye catching and classy. the packaging is not over done which i appreciate alot now.