Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A logo with my own name!


Here is a logo I quite often run into around construction sites in Austin; it always catches my attention because it uses my last name!  It does appeal to me as well because of its interesting play on negative and positive letter-forms, as each letter cleverly switches from positive to negative values.  Its some-what distorted oval shape also contains the letters nicely, balances the beginning and end of the name and contrasts the sharp angles of the Es.  Overall it's a sophisticated logo in my opinion:  it's perfect for a construction site that wants to be known as precise and legitimate.

3 comments:

pollypocket said...

I agree! This logo is definitely better than some of the other construction company logos. Probably my favorite part is how the two E's and their horizontal strokes interact with one another. Using the counter form of the D was clever in order to keep the pos/neg pattern going. The R is kind of strange though,it is neither a true counter form or a letterform.

anits said...

I agree with Polly on the "r" ... a little strange... it doesn't really go with the rest of the name "reed." But I do like how the "e's" are playing games with your eyes... like it's trying to still piece together what it is.

skidmark said...

I also really enjoy this logo! It's only done in black and white letters and yet it has movement to it. That is probably due to the E's. Like Polly said, their horizontal strokes interact with one another giving them movement. I would also agree with Polly about the R. It needs the little bit of white to help balance the positive and negative.