Thursday, March 27, 2008

"How" neat!


I recently purchased a type design magazine called "How", and this tattoo was featured on the front cover.  I usually don't like some of the gruesome images that are used as tattoos, but I find this one surprisingly pleasing.  I love the swirly linear forms that are found coming out of the black letters, despite the fact that they make the title less legible.  The gradation of black into the swirls help make a smoother transition between the different elements.  I also love the images (the bird, intertwining vines, rope and arrow) that interact with the letters, especially in the tight negative spaces.  The unfinished pink outlines around the letters also create a little bit of depth, and I like how they don't draw too much attention.  Apparently this is a real tattoo, despite the fact that it's weird that someone would want the name of a type magazine on their skin.  Whoever has this tattoo is definitely a type aficionado!!

4 comments:

pollypocket said...

The way the illustration and the image comes together is beautiful. It shows how type is not plain and boring and how it can be designed and illustrated to create a composition.I also enjoy the gradation of the letters and the swirls; the black outline keeps the viewer from getting lost.

Ebee said...

This is really pretty, hard to believe it is a tattoo! I really enjoy all of the intricate elements they added to make the type pop.

MerBEAR said...

I also agree that I like it. Its so detailed that its amazing. I really like how all the elements flow together to create a dynamic unit

anits said...

This is a really different approach for a magazine cover... and I LIKE IT! I'm glad it wasn't just the word "HOW." I think the way the artist intertwined the flowers through out.. made the cover. The one thing I couldn't imagine is the pain this must have caused. ouch!