Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Type is never out of Fashion


First I want to apologize for the bad scanning job, I'm not sure what happenned but I think you can get the layout and the contrast in type that I wanted to show. I wanted to show these images together because I think they do a good job of demonstrating the way fashion magazines use type to create a very crisp and sophisticated look while pushing the boundries at the same time. It's a thin line to tread between this classy and clashy look. When I saw the Table of Contents in the top image I had a hard time with it. I immediately felt that I needed to hate it because of the over use of typefaces and this almost clashing going on between them, but I have to say that the more I look at it the more I love it. And I know a lot of you all probably won't but what I enjoy about it is this extreme contrast between the ultra thin sans serif and the bulkier serifed type. The serifed type has that standard look that we expect in the fashion magazines with the thick and thin strokes in the same type. But then when you look closer there is even a slight difference between the serifed letterforms. I guess what I love about it is that it is breaking the rules, but at the same time imitating them. I want to look longer and closer, and I like that. Then with the second image I wanted to show how many fashion magazines tend to layout their articles. I love the pulled quote as the "Hoffman said" screams for our attention into the quote that is there to then spark our interest in the actual article. What I love about it is that it pushes everything just a little bit. All in it's own fashion conscious way.



4 comments:

little cody. said...

i love the table of contents with the contrast of thick and thin and the division of sections. the pictures scattered about gives the layout unity and makes the work flow.

Ebee said...

i love all of the different types and sizes used in the table of contents they all work well together and give the magazine that fashion feel.

anits said...

I like the transition of thick and thin, but it's almost too much with the scaling of the numbers. I don't know where my eyes go on the page. But the shapes of the pics is so different... it matches well with the typography.

Sarah Reed said...

Even though I think the combination of the Helvetica and bolder serif typefaces was a nice element of contrast, I think the lack of space makes this layout a little too cluttered for my taste. Perhaps a division of space would help with legibility and a better understanding of the table of contents. Right now, there's too much ink on the page and besides the title, I find there's no emphasis on hierarchy. Maybe a contrast in type scale would also make this a more meaningful layout.