Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Traveling pants needs a new designer...

I won't lie, i love these books.  But since before i was even a graphic design major this cover has driven me CRAZY! The type reminds me a lot of crulz which i usually dont like at all.  i know that it is supposed to be fun and aimed at teenagers but that doesnt mean you have to use a font like this.  I think they colors and type are just overkill of trying to make this book look young and hip.  I do not like the way the layout is, i dont think they type and the imagery work well together they seem to be different units.  I think they could have pushed this farther and made it look young and "fresh" rather than this.

5 comments:

Chesterfield Cigarettes said...

The first thing I wanted to do was to thank the author for making such a beautiful blog! No one could have done it better! Thank you very much for the pictures which are on the page. They are splendid! I will surely add your blog to my links and will always visit the web page you’ve created!

Unknown said...

Lolz @ this comment^^^.

Also, the only way that book cover could be more hideous is if comic sans and papyrus had been used.

Sarah Reed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Reed said...

I know the designer was aiming for a look that would appeal to young adults, but it resulted in a more childish look that makes the overall book cover look cheezy! I really don't like when designers use shifted baselines for no real reason at all...yuck. It's such a meaningless solution that designers use when they don't have any other ideas! If a friend hadn't recommended this book to me, I would not pick this book up for its unappealing typography treatment.

I'd Rather Be Baking said...

The typography is really cheesy and childish. Which, if it were done properly, could be ok since it is a childish book. The positioning of the typography is very predictable too. If they had brought the title in closer to the pants, it may have worked better.