Monday, April 7, 2008

Hand crafted


For this wild card I wanted to show a student's piece from DSVC. I'm displaying this one not so much because it was my favorite piece or because it has some amazing layout, but because it was ALL done by hand. This piece is about 2'x 3' to give you some kind of idea of the size. It was really cool to look close and see all of the detail. To put this all together while not having the option of earasing just enhances the effort of pre-planning and bringing it all together. It was also interesting to get up close and actually read the tiny, tiny words and the illustrations are also very intricate. For me this piece was more of a representation of what is possible and what we are capable of doing.

2 comments:

Sarah Reed said...

I'm impressed with this designer's intense dedication and attention to detail!! I could never have the patience to write so small and work on the same piece for such a long period of time. It reminds me of dada art just because of its collage look and the random placement of illustrations and words. Even though there are many elements of hierarchy, it's not too distracting because of the small size of everything. If he had used a larger type, it would have been too much!

I'd Rather Be Baking said...

I love the layered collage look of this piece. You can definitely see the dedication to detail in the piece. Its really impressive that this was all done by hand. Its the kind of piece that every time you look at it, you find something new.