Monday, January 28, 2008




So I went and saw 27 Dresses last weekend at Movie Tavern and I was thinking this was a great example of "interpretive typography." The way the letter "o" in the word "movie" represents a plate to eat off of, is an excellent way of seeing that you can eat dinner while you watch a movie. But transforming the "o" isn't enough... they had to add the fork. In some of the more recent ads I have seen for Movie Tavern (see picture below the top one), they have placed the word "tavern" beneath "movie" and extended the "v" to make an ending of a fork. I prefer this method rather than the sign you see in front of the building. I do like the way this sign creates good usage of interpretive text, however, I believe the color is a little blah. They could have used red and yellow for popcorn in the red container.

7 comments:

anits said...

PLEASE READ: whoops! I meant view the bottom picture first then the top one.

little cody. said...

i do think this is a creative approach to a movie sign because it tells exactly what you can do there...eat...but the thing that bothers me the most is the type face that they chose...its a little cheap? looking? maybe? i dont look at the name and think..yes. this looks nice, i want to go there. it just rubs me the wrong way. maybe if they used a more professional or less messy typeface it would be much more successful.

LmBaptista said...

i dont see the relation with movies but i definelty see the realtion with food , the fork is a powerfull image of food, and eating...so maybe add something to connect both either type or an image

MerBEAR said...

I like this logo I think its effective for demonstrating what the movie tavern does. I like the subsitution of the fork. I think it can be different from movie signs because the tavern is a non traditional movie place. I think the typeface could be changed to appeal more and not be so cheesy. What I like the best is the tag line they used.

Georgia said...

I wish that a little bit more of the fork was visible in the o. Just because from a distance it might be hard to tell that it is supposed to be a fork. Especially if someone had never heard of the movie tavern and doesn't know that they serve food.

Ebee said...

i think this could have been pushed further. Maybe trying to incorporate movie and food since they are selling both. I mean it gets the idea across well but i do not think it was a particularly great solution for the problem.

D'Megs said...

i think the font of the logo looks kind of gothic looking. i dont know why.... but i dont think it works. i think the stacking of the words works better because of the connection of the V and the O. i think they could have done something better to make the logo me pleasing.... like a movie theatre you eat at.