Monday, January 28, 2008

Baller's Delight


This example of interpretive type was one I found from the 2007 HOW Design Conference in Atlanta.  Their job was to help make a "flashy, hip hop-inspired photo font".  They used beads, baubles, fake diamonds and glitter glue to add flair to the typeface, which was actually named "Baller's Delight" and refers to the Atlanta rap scene of the late nineties.  What caught my attention was the amount of detail that was needed to make each letter unique.  I found it interesting that each letter had a different color scheme and texture with the varying sizes and shapes of the beads, and the design of each letter was apparently carefully thought out before the beads were placed on the forms.  I also liked the contrast between the lowercase g (which has a higher baseline) and the gothic-looking B.  Overall, I thought its flashy quality, creative medium and varying letters were effective in portraying the sometimes garish style of this musical, artistic expression.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry but I find this signage to be utterly horrendous. The color combinations are not very pleasing, and the type sizes are all over the place. The "g" in delight is much thinner than all of the other letters, and it grabs your attention in a bad way.

Bethany said...

'BALLER'S DELIgHT' ... more like bedazzler's nightmare.
My goodness this is a mess. I have to ask, "what were they thinking?"
It's hard to tell who the target market is since the use of media and type-face doesn't match the title of 'baller's delight.'
the bead work is over the top and unnecessary and the sudden lowercase of the 'g' is just awkward.
It's hard to even know what to say after all that.

anits said...

The typeface used doesn't really represent "baller's delight", however the bling-bling used does. The bling is about the only thing the type has going for it. But actually, the colors and jewels is too much. I do agree with yebyeb: who is the target market?? At first, I thought it was for a ghetto quilter's association. I have no idea.