Monday, January 28, 2008

I went out driving for an example of interpretive type, and although I did to my surprise find a lot of good examples, I chose to come back to an old photo I took this summer of the Whole Foods in London that had just opened. I really appreciate this as interpretive type for its subtlety. Just by making the "o" in whole an onion, they really describe what they are about. In fact, it was not until recently that I even noticed that the o was an onion. This is probably due to the fact that I never used to scrutinize type the way I do know. But I really think that it was wise and successful that whoever designed this logo chose to incorporate the image into the typography instead of just as a side note next to text. It also works well that the onion's weight and appearance matches the rest of the logo. 

7 comments:

Sarah Reed said...

I also appreciate Whole Food's logo for its organic style. This is appropriate because Whole Foods is known for their wide variety of organic food and products! Not only do I like the green color (also symbolizing that the store represents an "earthy" and environmentally-friendly store), but I also like the choice of typeface. The rounded edges of the serifs and the clever substitution of an onion help make the logo look more organic as well. I also like the reversal of color and san-serif type in the word "market" because they visually add more contrast to the logo.

pollypocket said...

I agree! I think this logo is very well done. The typeface and subtlety of the onion goes well with the purpose of the store. It looks up-scale and classy, but also has a friendly-organic feel.

Bethany said...

cute, fun, appropriate and subtle.
It just works. They knew their target audience and they stuck with that and didn't stay away. it's not edgy and it doesn't walk the line of design but rather carries the feel of the store and what they sell within the type and subtle allusion to a 'pear' as the 'o.'

Georgia said...

I think this logo works well because of the simplicity of the "o." Is the "o" really supposed to be an onion? I guess with the two leaf looking things at the top I always though that it was an apple or some other type of fruit. I guess that is part of the beauty of the logo though. That it can be a different piece of food to everyone that looks at it yet it still gets the message across.

anits said...

I agree with the author of this posting... I too didn't realize the "o" was made into an onion. That's pretty catchy even if it isn't obvious to consumers. When I think of Whole Foods I think of healthy and organic. The color green really represents those facts. Also, the use of clean, simple typography represents what Whole Foods means as a company.

D'Megs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D'Megs said...

i really enjoy this logo. i am from austin and we have a fantastic whole foods. i have never realized it was an onion and just though it was a generic piece of produce. The font also gives it a earthy feel because of the use of serifs and the green chosen. The logo is simple and very well done.